Pages

Featured Post

The Journey of FashtasticFlare

Hello my lovely readers, I would like to start this post off by thanking each and every beautiful soul who has read my blog posts, watched ...

Westwood June #1 Her Career Background

June 08, 2016

Hello my lovelies I hope you are well. Designer of the month is BACK and we staying in the UK with a British Designer! The last designer of the month was Alexander McQueen who is also British. This June month I will be exploring Vivienne Westwood's life and how she became one of the famous British designer's to ever live!


On to all things Westwood June....


Now where to start, well I have briefly heard of Vivienne Westwood but it was not for her clothes more for the other products she has produced. Everyone knows that my designer of the month series is to explore the live's of these designer's and find out how they became who they became.


So let's go to the very start of Vivienne's life, she was a country girl who was born in 1941 and came from a family where her mother was a cotton weaver and her father was from a family of shoemakers. At 17 her family moved to North-West London where she studied silversmithing and jewellery design at Harrow Art School. She thought she could not make an earning from an art career so she took a more conventional route to become a school teacher. 


When Vivienne was 21 in 1962 she married an airline steward Derek Westwood, this is where she got her surname from. The marriage lasted three years and she had one son. The next man who came into her life was Malcolm McLaren, this is where Vivienne went through a phase which was quite rebellious.

They developed the first signs of punk style as well as changing their shop name from 'let it rock' to 'Sex' which promoted idea of sexual confrontation and introduced leather, bondage gear and rubber wear. Now let's take a moment to understand that Vivienne was not the type of designer that started with free flow garments instead she experimented with more difficult fabrics. Also this was not what a typical women would have been seen to do in that era.

After leaving that phase of her life behind in 1981 she created a collection called 'Pirate' which attracted a lot of attention in the media for all the right reasons. It was a collection that no one expected from her, as the style gave a new romantic movement which became historical and inspirational. 

That is all from this week, I will be back with Westwood June #2 next week!


Thank you for reading this post, if you enjoyed it then please leave a like! 


Leave a comment on your thought of this month's designer so far?

Check the previous designer of the month here, 
McQueen March #1 Who is Alexander McQueen?

McQueen March #2 His Career

McQueen March #3 Book Reviews
McQueen March #4 Famous Collections
For more things fashion or style or if you would like to keep up to date with Westwood June then follow my blog! :)

You can follow my blog via bloglovin. 
Don't have bloglovin, no problem become part of the FashtasticFlare Community by clicking "Join this site" on the right, all you need is a Google account :)

Check out my Contact me page, if you want to tweet me, instagram me or simply send me an email :D 

Also I make YouTube Videos which I upload on the weekend, so why don't you check out my previous videos and subscribe while you're there, I would really appreciate it :)

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS